Re: How to simulate random samples from crooked coin toss?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58529] Re: How to simulate random samples from crooked coin toss?
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 03:11:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Dan,

If you want to simulate the coin tossing problem, remember that
Random[ ] gives a uniformly distributed pseudorandom Real in the range 0
to 1.
Therefore, if we want to simulate an event with probability P, we check
if the outcome of Random is below P or not. E.g.
How many heads in n tosses with a crooked coin with P=0.6:

Count[ Table[ If[Random[]<P,1,0] ,{n} ]  ,1]

For y dice, you would check if the outcome of Random =x  is:
x<1/6, 1/6<=x<2/6,..
depending on how many eyes you want.

An additional note:
if you only want a function like:
 > numberOfHeads = coinTosser[infoAboutCoin, numberOfTosses, head]
the problem can be solved without simulations
For your purpose, to describe a coin (dice, cards) you have to specify
the propability that a certain event happens, e.g. "Head", call it Ph. A
fine coin would have Ph=0.5, a croocked coin e.g. Ph=0.6.
Now as your coin tosses are all independent, the mean number of Heads in
n tosses will simply be: n Ph

sincerely, Daniel