How to display dates in plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58705] How to display dates in plots
  • From: ggroup at sarj.ca
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:02:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm evaluating Mathematica v5.1 to automate some data analysis for me.
I have one question that I have yet to find an answer (or even a clue).
 I was hoping someone here may have a good idea.

I collect data sets that I want to plot in various ways versus time.
Each record in the data sets includes a date/time string and various
(numeric) sensor readings.  I've got an ugly but effective loop to
convert the date strings in my data files to serial time.  I've been
this serial time to plot my data.  Now the question is: is there a way
to format the plot axes to display a human readable date rather than
the serial date?

One note: Not all the data records are taken at regular intervals.
When an event is happening on one of the sensors, we often increase the
sampling frequency to get better resolution.

Thanks very much.