Re: How do I add a secondary y-axis to MultipleListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58736] Re: How do I add a secondary y-axis to MultipleListPlot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:03:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/15/05 at 3:02 AM, ggroup at sarj.ca wrote:

>I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to plot two (or
>more) sets of data on one plot, but with different y-axes?  I have
>data that have different zero offsets and features on that are on
>different scales, but I would like to plot them on top of each
>other.

>This is fairly simple on an XY scatter plot in Excel, but of course
>Excel is extremely tedious to use for very large datasets.

There are a number of ways to approach this. One simple way to add a secondary axis would be to use a Frame and an approriate FrameTicks directive. For example,

Plot[{x, x^2}, {x, 0, 2}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Red},
   Axes -> None, Frame ->True,
   FrameTicks -> {Automatic, Automatic, None,
     Table[{n^2, n}, {n, 0.5, 4, 0.5}]},
   FrameLabel -> {"x", "y", None, "Sqrt[y]"}];

Using the DrawGraphics package David Parks wrote allows for more flexibility and more complex graphics.