Re: simple set operations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57655] Re: simple set operations
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ed,
see below.
Sincerely, Daniel

Edward Peschko wrote:
> hey all,
>
> I'm hesitant to ask these questions (because they are so simple) but after a
> 15 minute search through the docs I'm getting nowhere, so here goes:
>
>     1) what's the easiest way to generate a list of elements? ie:
>
> 	'a' .. 'h' == { a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h }
I would numerate the elements. It is easier to work with numbers than
with characters.  If you want to see the names, you can  put the names
in a list or function "names" and get the name by names[[i]] or
names[i]. To get the list with numbers: Range[n]

>     2) Is there a quick way to check whether an element is in a set?
>
> 	if ('a' == (any('a','b','c','d')) { print "a is in a,b,c,d"; }
MemeberQ will help: MemeberQ[List_of_Elements, Element ]