Re: Output from Export[ ] (suggestion to Wolfram)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57799] Re: [mg57781] Output from Export[ ] (suggestion to Wolfram)
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 05:17:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> Export[---] (without a following semicolon) prints the
> filename of the exported file to an output cell in the notebook.
> Sure would be nice if options could be added to have this
> output cell contain a bunch of additional information such as
>
>    --Full path for the output file
>    --File size
>    --Name of object exported, as well as file name
>    --Format used
>
> plus all kinds of potentially useful format-specific and
> object-specific data such as graphic dimensions for an EPS
> file; pixel dimensions for JPEG and the like; fonts used
> and/or embedded; number of characters and/or lines for a text
> file; and so on.  (Presumably much of this information can be
> decoded from within the output file itself, but we amateurs
> may not find that so easy to do.)
>
> Any simple command that will extract all this information
> from the kernal or front end immediately following execution
> of an Export[---] command?

There is FileInformation[].

I'd suggest that this be used instead of Export[].  The reason for this is
that Mathematica has the convention that a trailing semicolon supresses
output.  Perhaps adding an argument (eg VerboseOutput->True) to Export might
be a better way to go.

Just my (Australian) two cents worth ...

Regards,

Dave.