Re: Sorting on multiple columns within a matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57844] Re: Sorting on multiple columns within a matrix
  • From: Lee Newman <leenewm at umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:29:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

dh -- thanks,  your solution works, but it seems it might be awkward to
extend it to many more than two columns.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to generalize dh's solution such
that it could be applied as a pure function to a list which contains the
columns to sort?  I noodled over it but was unable to figure it out.
Something like:

  Sort[matrix, puresortfunc[#]  ]& /@ {1,14,2,4}

  where 1,14,2,4 are the columns to use for sorting, and puresortfunc is
this tricky sorting function that would successively  map # to the
elements in the list of columns to sort.

Lee