Re: Getting simple answers from Reduce, ComplexExpand and FullSimplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57868] Re: Getting simple answers from Reduce, ComplexExpand and FullSimplify
  • From: "Hugh Goyder" <h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Many thanks for all the answers I received. The best answer seems to be
ex = 2 Cos[z] + I a Sin[z];

InputForm[Reduce[{0 == ex // TrigToExp, 0 < a < 1}, z]]

C[1] \[Element] Integers && Inequality[0, Less, a, Less, 1] &&
z == (-I/2)*((2*I)*Pi*C[1] + Log[(-2 + a)/(2 + a)])

Two points are interesting.

    1.  I used ComplexExpand on the output of Reduce and got a different and
incomprehensible answer compared to Andrzej Kozlowski and Pratik Desai who
used ComplexExpand and TrigToExp, respectively, on the input to Reduce and
got a simple answer. Is this obvious from the way Reduce works or does one
get this by trial-and-error and tinkering? (I don't  like tinkering I don't
think you can really learn and understand by tinkering with computation.)

    2. I note that Reduce sometimes generates a constant, C[1],  that is an
element of the Integers and also has Im[C[1]] == 0. I know that there are
Gaussian Integers but I would have thought that the definition of Integers
in Mathematica would be restricted to real integers.

    Thanks

    Hugh Goyder
"Hugh Goyder" <h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:d893st$t26$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Below the expression ex has roots, rts, where n in an integer and the
> constant a is in the interval 0 < a <1. We may check this using
FullSimplify