Re: Portable Notebooks and Filenames[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58047] Re: Portable Notebooks and Filenames[]
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
         I've worked in a very similar situation for many years, using a
file system accessible from both Windows and Linux.  With a little care, all
my Mathematica notebooks work unchanged on either system.

The following are fictititious names, just to illustrate.

Suppose that the root of the file system appears as "/universalfs" in Linux
and is mounted as drive U: in Windows.   Then something like the following
is a convenient setup (sorry I don't know the right syntax for Mac):

uRoot = Switch[$OperatingSystem, "Windows", "U:", "Unix", "/universalfs",
"MacOSX", "HD"]

so you can do things like

SetDirectory[ToFileName[{uRoot, "users", "fred", "work"} ]]

Get[ToFileName[{uRoot, "users", "fred", "setup"}, "myfunctions.m" ]]

I actually have more elaborate things in a package that I always load but
this gives the basic idea.   You can still use it even if you don't have
access to a common system but just work with parallel structures.

Of course if you just want to work relative to an initial starting folder
with sub-folders then you don't even need uRoot.

John Jowett

news:d8e4e7$gik$1 at smc.vnet.net...