Re: usage messages in packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58111] Re: usage messages in packages
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:08:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6/17/05 at 5:19 AM, akoz at mimuw.edu.pl (Andrzej Kozlowski) wrote:

>Secondly: I am wondering whether the ability to read in packages
>with both

><<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`

>and

><<discretemath`combinatorica`

>is operating system dependent, i.e. whether both of the above work
>on OS's that distinguish between lower and upper case names of
>files and  directories. I think that means all flavours of unix
>except Mac OS X (?) Can someone check this?

On Mac OS 10.4.1 either loads the package. And as to whether you consider Mac OS X case sensitive with respect to file naming depends on what you mean and how the OS was installed.

If I use the terminal and manipulate files with standard Unix commands, case of file names definitely makes a difference. But with a standard installation of the OS, you cannot have two files with the same name differing by only case in the same directory. However, it is possible to install the OS with case sensitive file names, removing this restriction.

For myself, I prefer loading packages using

<<DiscretMath`Combinatorica`

rather than using all lower case since I find I can more quickly identify loaded packages this way.