Re: Epilog -vs- Prolog -vs- DisplayTogether

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58101] Re: Epilog -vs- Prolog -vs- DisplayTogether
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:07:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <d8u5l4$81e$1 at smc.vnet.net>, nafod40 <noneya at business.com>
wrote:

> Subject says it all. It is not clear to me the benefits of Epilog and
> Prolog over DisplayTogether, or when I'd use Epilog versus Prolog or
> vice versa. Mathematica book is kind of lean in that area. Anyone want to
> offer
> up some suggestions? What motivated their implementation in the first place?

1)  Prolog/Epilog lets you add various kinds of markup or annotation
(lines, text, special points) to a single plot, in addition to the
functions, data, points or curves that are the basic part of the plot.

The (only?) difference between Prolog and Epilog is which stuff gets
"painted" into the graphic first; Prolog stuff will be "under" the plot
material, Epilog stuff "over" the plot material.

2)  DisplayTogether [which I love] lets you plot multiple kinds of
plots, curves, functions, plots with different ranges, etc., on a single
plot, with a single set of axes.

It's so handy because you can learn to use the simple basic Plot,
ListPlot, LogPlot, whatever other plot commands you need, then combine a
bunch of these plots with DT, rather than having to learn the much more
complex (and much less reliable) syntax of commands like
MultipleListPlot.

Add'l notes:

You can assign options for the total DT plot (ImageSize, Frame,
PlotStyle, etc) after the individual plots.

A DT graphic can only have a single Prolog and/or Epilog; if you DT
several plots, each having a Prolog or Epilog within them, only the
first?/last?/???? of these gets used.  (I haven't tried to figure out
the exact rules.)