Re: Mathematica 5.0 eps generation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58127] Re: Mathematica 5.0 eps generation
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 03:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6/18/05 at 6:07 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>In article <d8u6nh$8ah$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>"Anwitaman Datta" <anwitaman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>Hi, I guess many of you might have had this problem. When
>>generating eps (save selection as), if the size of the graphics in
>>Mathematica notebook is somewhat large, the generated eps looses
>>part of the graphics! Is there a work around?

>Hard-Learned Mathematica Lesson No. 137:

>If you have magnification turned on in your notebook window -- that
>is, if the "100%" etc button at the bottom of the notebook window
>(at least on the Mac version) is set to something other than 100%
>in order to make the screen display larger -- this can screw up the
>size properties of exported or saved graphics when they're used in
>another application.

>Set this to 100% and re-run the notebook before exporting or
>saving.

This doesn't seem to address the issue when using Mathematica on Mac OS X. Try doing the following with the magnification set at 100%.

First, generate a simple plot, e.g., Plot[x, {x,0,100}]
Drag the lower rh corner to increase the size of the plot so that only a small portion of the plot is visible in the window
Select the cell with the oversized plot.
Do Edit->Save Selection As->EPS and save under a convienent filename in a convienent location
Double click the resulting file which should launch Preview.

Note, what is displayed in Preview is not the complete plot.

Also, if you keep the magnification at 100% but size the window and plot so the plot is something like full screen and save as EPS as outlined above, the resulting file when viewed in Preview will be truncated when compared to the original plot.

With a bit of experimentation, I've found setting the ImageSize to 450 is about the largest size that works will with reports generated within Mathematica to be converted to PDF. If I want the plot by itself in portrait orientation, I've found and ImageSize of 550 to be about the largest pratical size and 760 to be about the largest size for landscape orientation. So, my solution to the original posters issue is to set up variables in my init.m file with these values and include an ImageSize directive in any plot I want to export to PDF or EPS.