Weird Graphics Behaviour-Mathematica 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58145] Weird Graphics Behaviour-Mathematica 4.2
  • From: "Christos Argyropoulos M.D." <chrisarg at fuse.net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 05:21:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everyone,

Something really strange happened and maybe someone can shed a light.

All of suddent, Mathematica CANNOT display any graphics . Specifically,
when I issue a graphics command (i.e. Plot, ListPlot, Graphics
primitives), it outputs a blank space and the Window title line keeps
flickering the name of the working window. It is not that the graphics
are not created i.e. I can take the FullForm of any graphics command and
see the internal representation, it is their rendering that is not
taking place. Furthermore I can copy the (invisible) graphic into other
applications (i.e. MSWord)using Copy&Paste via mouse  without any
problems. The OpenGL viewer AddOn seems to work perfectly (i.e. the
graphics are rendered in the AddOn Window but not in the active notebook
window).  I am running Mathematica under WindowsXP Home on a Presario
Notebook P4 @ 2.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM and the Mathematica Information is as
follows:

In[1]:=
$ProductInformation
Out[1]=
{ProductIDName\[Rule]Mathematica,
  ProductKernelName\[Rule]Mathematica 4.2 Kernel,
  ProductVersion\[Rule]4.2 for Microsoft Windows (August 23, 2002),
  ProductVersionNumber\[Rule]4.2}

BTW Mathematica 5.0 (an old evaluation version came really handy!)
graphics under the same system seem to work fine. Short of re-installing
Mathematica (my original CD is  4985 miles away) what can I do to relive
the old glorious and graphical days?

Christos Argyropoulos MD PhD

University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine