Re: Transformation rule problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58166] Re: Transformation rule problem
  • From: Oliver Buerschaper <groo137vy at yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:02:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I am not sure if I understand your question right. You want to replace
> ewvery a b by d. But what do you mean by "This replacement is required
> to work for arbitrary a and b".

This simply means that a and b actually stand for more complex
expressions involving trigonometric functions...

> Well, for the part that I understood:
>
> You have 4 different cases: a b, a b^n, a^n b, a^n b^m
> The rule for the first case is simply: a b -> d
> second case: a b^n_ -> b^(n-1) d
> third: a^n b -> a^(n-1) d
> four: a^n b^m ->  a^Max[0, n - m] b^Max[0, m - n] d^Min[m, n]

OK, this does the job, however I'll use the shorter rule suggested by
Roland... I've also tested this with the actual expressions instead of
a and b (see above) and it works fine.

Thanks,
Oliver