Re: Notebook 'suddenly' does not talk to Kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54763] Re: Notebook 'suddenly' does not talk to Kernel
  • From: peter.aptaker at gmail.com (peteraptaker)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:58:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

peter.aptaker at gmail.com (peteraptaker) wrote in message news:<cvmhp3$3n7$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> In all my versions (Mathematica 4.2.1, 5.0, 5.1) the Notebook will NOT
> launch or talk to the kernel. All have have working (had launched)
> kernels
>
> Probable cause: I had  'carefully' allowed windows 'Disk Cleanup' to
> remove some redundant files to save disk space. I cannot see how
> Mathematica needed:
>
> - downloaded program files
> - temporary  internet files
> - MS error reporting temp files
>
> but who knows?
>
> Actions taken (all failed) : I have uninstalled M4.2.1 and
> re-installed but this has no effect. I restored the Windows XP
> registry to the day before the problem.
>
> I am hoping someone has had and fixed this problems.
>
> Thanks
> Peter Aptaker

As often happens, the 'probable cause' was a red-herring. I had
accidently scrapped all my Preferences while desperately trying to
abort some bug ridden development code using (I hoped) <alt><.>. It
has now happended a couple more times since. Is there an <alt>
sequence that does this during  a run? (Or did I press another key?)

Wolfam support gave diagnosis and solution. To reset sensible default
Preferences, launch Mathematica while holding <cntr><shift> (I think!).

Thanks