Re: Precise bitmaps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54840] Re: Precise bitmaps
  • From: Stefano Taschini <taschini at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 05:07:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jan,

The quality of the raster engine in Mathematica is anyway rather poor,
and I'd rather use an external tool.

The whole procedure can be automatized. If you have ImageMagick and
GhostScript installed on your Mac, you can use the following function

Options[Rasterize] = {ImageSize -> 288};
Rasterize[g_, opts___?OptionQ] := With[{
         f = OpenTemporary[],
         fullopts = Join[{opts}, Options@Rasterize]},
     Close[f];
     Export[First@f, g, "EPS"];
     Run@StringForm["sh -l -c 'convert -resize `2` eps:`1` bmp:`1`'",
         First@f,
         Replace[Replace[ImageSize, fullopts], {
           n_Integer :> StringForm["`1`x`1`", n],
           {x_, y_} :> StringForm["``x``!", x, y]}]];
     With[{bmp = Import[First@f, "BMP"]},
       DeleteFile[First@f];
       bmp]]

For instance, you can rasterize the thorus of a previous reply,

<< Graphics`Shapes`
g=Graphics3D[Torus[],Background->RGBColor[0,0,0]];
Show[Rasterize[g]]

With the option ImageSize you can set max(width,height)

Show[Rasterize[g, ImageSize -> 100]]

You can also set exactly both width and height

Show[Rasterize[g, ImageSize->{100,200}]]

I tested the Rasterize function with Mathematica 5.1 on Mac Os X 10.3.8,
but should work on any unix system, provided you have ImageMagick and
GhostScript installed.

Ciao,
Stefano