Re: Help on iteration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54981] Re: Help on iteration
  • From: bghiggins at ucdavis.edu
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 05:04:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Cliff, There is some ambiquity in the statement of your problem. The
14th element of the second sublist is "N" not Q. If the 14th element is
always the second last element of each sublist, then here is a solution
that makes use of a replacement rule

glist = {{a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, l, m, n, o, p, q, Date1},
 {a, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O , P, Q, Date2},
 {a, R, s, t, u, v, X, Y, z, aa, bbb, cc, d d, tt, Date3}};

tt=0;

Let us define some function that extracts a value based on the date

mydatefunc[d_]:=Switch[d,Date1,zz1,Date2,zz2,Date3,zz3]

glist /. {x__, y_ /; y == 0, z_} :>
   {x, (s - C) + mydatefunc[z], z}

{{a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, l, m, n, o, p, q, Date1},
  {a, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q,
   Date2}, {a, R, s, t, u, v, X, Y, z, aa, bbb, cc, d^2,
   -C + s + zz3, Date3}}

If the 14th element is not the second last element of each sublist,
here is a solution using Map:

Map[If[Part[#, 14] == 0, ReplacePart[#, (s - C) +
      mydatefunc[Last[#]], Length[#]], , #] &, glist]

Cheers,

Brian