Does Mathematica 5 use multiple processors on SPARC?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55137] Does Mathematica 5 use multiple processors on SPARC?
  • From: Dave <nospam at nowhere.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:43:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I assume this technical FAQ

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/allplatforms/multipleprocessors.html

is out of date since it says "The current version of Mathematica does
not take direct advantage of multiple processors on any platform"

whereas

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin5/performance/

says "Mathematica 5 also takes advantage of multiple processors for a
range of numerical operations on those operating systems such as Linux,
Windows, and HP-UX that support this multithreaded capability."

Now my question is does Mathematica 5 support multiple processors on
Solaris? Since the kernel code is very similar across platforms, I
assume it does, although it is odd to mention HP-UX and not Solaris,
when the latter is probably used much more.