functional programming excercise from Mastering Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55212] functional programming excercise from Mastering Mathematica
  • From: Torsten Coym <torsten.coym at eas.iis.fraunhofer.de>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:28:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm quite new to Mathematica and its functional programming capabilities
so I did some reading in John Gray's "Mastering Mathematica". There is
an excercise in chapter 6 as follows

Write your own function composeList that works just like the built-in
operation with the same name, using FoldList. Conversely, write your own
function foldList that works just like the built-in operation with the
same name, using ComposeList.

Unfortunately, there is no solution given at the end of the book (or I
didn't find it). I could figure out a way to do the first task:

composeList[funlist_List, var_] := FoldList[(#2[#1]) &, var, funlist]

but I can't manage the second task...

I know it's rather academic, but ... any help is welcome!

Torsten