Re: Q: Varying colors in Plot3D according to Height

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55437] Re: Q: Varying colors in Plot3D according to Height
  • From: yehuda ben-shimol <bsyehuda at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:34:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
Say that your function is called f of two parameters say, x and y. for
the following example I will use f[x_,y_]:=2*Sin[x+y]
You need to set the option ColorFunctionScaling->False and define your
own ColorFunction

look at the following example

Plot3D[2Sin[x+y],{x,0,2\[Pi]},{y,0,2\[Pi]},ColorFunctionScaling->False,
  ColorFunction->(If[#<1,Hue[#],Hue[0]]&)]

Notice that the areas with values below 1 will NOT be colored with the
default colors, since you need to operate the ColorFunction on the
unscaled values of your function. However the red areas are exactly
what you needed.

Since the Hue[] function is cyclic (i.e., Hue[x]==Hue[Mod[x,1]])
scaling is important for nice representation. In case you KNOW in
advanced the maximal value of the function (call is maxF) then you may
modify the code a little by

Plot3D[2Sin[x+y],{x,0,2\[Pi]},{y,0,2\[Pi]},ColorFunctionScaling->False,
  ColorFunction->(If[#<1,Hue[#/maxF],Hue[0]]&)]

But from some tests I made I do not really think this is important

Regards
yehuda