Re: ReplaceAll / sequential replacements versus joint replacement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55449] Re: ReplaceAll / sequential replacements versus joint replacement
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:41:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ron,
I agree, it is confusing. But read the Help of ReplaceAll:
"ReplaceAll looks at each part of expr, tries all the rules on it, and
then goes on to the next part of expr. The first rule that applies to a
particular part is used; no further rules are tried on that part, or on
any of its subparts. "

Teherefore, consider e.g.
x /. {x -> a + x, a -> x}
Here only the first rule is applied, giving: a+x

However:
t1 = x /. {x -> a + x}
t1 /. {a -> x}
Here after the first rule did its job, the second rules starts over,
giving:
2x

good advice -:) read the manual!
Sincerely, Daniel