Re: Not getting numeric answer to simple division

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56643] Re: Not getting numeric answer to simple division
  • From: "Steven Shippee" <droukas at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 00:46:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Most, if not all, suggestions to getting approximate answers suggested or
recommended using N, e.g.,

3/7  //N

I've gotten into a habit of using a period when I want an approximation,
e.g.,

3./7

Is this OK or a bad habit to get into - I ask because none of the more
seasoned users recommended it.

Thanks in advance,

Steven Shippee

news:d4sp98$apu$1 at smc.vnet.net...