Re: Re: named pattern variable scoped as global, should be local

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56857] Re: [mg56720] Re: [mg56696] named pattern variable scoped as global, should be local
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 15:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Fred,

As usual very good and convincing analysis. As for whether this
behaviour constitutes a "bug" or not: I think this is probably one of
those cases that only the person who wrote the code can give the true
answer. It seems  to me reasonable  to define a bug as something in the
code that causes behaviour that is undesirable in a way that either not
realised by the programmer or could not have been  avoided without
causing even more undesirable behaviour (this latter situation is quite
common in programs like Mathematica). I am now also inclined to think
that under the above definition this probably does not qualify as a
bug. It seems to me that this behaviour is mildly undesirable and
causes some difficulty to users, but probably it is a side effect of
something intentional. Still, I do not see any obvious benefits form  $
not being appended when the RHS contains unscoped variables; maybe this
improves performance  but the gain seems to be very slight. Perhaps the
reason lies in trying to be consistent with some more general
principles of scoping.
Unfortunately these "principles" do not appear to be clearly stated
anywhere, which of course is one reason why "detective work" like yours
is so valuable (as well as entertaining).

Andrzej