Re: Re: Mathematica Notebook Organiztion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56865] Re: [mg56859] Re: Mathematica Notebook Organiztion
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 02:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 8 May 2005, at 04:35, AES wrote:

> The problem is, the *only* advantage of such a unified tool *for the
> user*, so far as I can see, is that you only have to double-click on
> one
> icon to start if up; and the difficulties it then produces for ordinary
> users are immense and unending.  I won't attempt to list at this point
> all the different ways these difficulties arise (inherently, and
> unavoidably) in such a system; but if this debate continues I may get
> motivated to respond with such a list.

I think the "user" you are talking about does not do any programming in
TeX or PostScript (and perhaps not that much in Mathematica) and relies
on others: "Texperts" and various kind of "gurus" to write packages and
programs that make these general typesetting  and graphic systems work
in a way that suits his particular needs. Although I spend most of my
time nowadays in front of my Powerbook I think I do not qualify as a
"computer type" (I am a professor of mathematics) but I think it would
be great if I could dispense with the services of Texperts and
PostSctipt gurus and be able to do everything I need to do using
Mathematica - the one programming language I know pretty well. Whether
this hope is realistic I can't really tell, but I am keenly awaiting
Mathematica 6, which, I think, at last will dispense with PostScript
and allow full control of text and graphics form within the Kernel.

Andrzej Kozlowski