Re: Calling a MS-DOS command

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56896] Re: Calling a MS-DOS command
  • From: OT <montoz at iol.it>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 01:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Swati Shah ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to call some DOS commands from Mathematica like
>
> delete ("tmp.txt")
> copy filea to fileb
>
> Is this possible in Mathematica? I have been looking at the
> documentation but am not having a lot of luck.
>
> Thanks in advance

You can use the Run[] command:
Run[expr_1,expr_2,... ] generates the printed form of the expressions
expr_i, separated by spaces, and runs it as an external, operating
system, command.

Note that
!"command" is the same of
Run["command"]

As an example, under windows the input
!cmd
starts the MS-DOS console. In this case after the ms-dos console is
started the front end still looks like evaluating, because it's waiting
for the end of the external command. When you close the ms-dos console,
mathematica will know that the execution of the external, system code is
ended and you'll be able to do new computation in the front end.

If you evaluate
!cmd
1+1

you'll see..