Re: solve() problem since new ROM update

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56977] Re: solve() problem since new ROM update
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 05:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 5/10/05 at 3:42 AM, jenningsmca_REMOVETHIS at hotmail.com (Mike)
wrote:

>I have tried multiple problems (simple ones albiet) to solve while
>in ALG mode. SOLVE(x^4 - 1 = 3, x) but this provides no result.
>Just returns the question with no answer. The answer should be x =
>-Sqrt(2) or x = sqrt(2).

>The example works in RPN, but I use both environments depending
>what I am doing. It worked before the upgrade. Am I missing
>something here!

If you typed exactly what you posted, then the problem is you are not using correct syntax. Specifially, Mathematica is case sensitive and typing something in all caps will do exactly as you describe. Try

Solve[x^4 - 1 == 3, x]

Note the case of Solve, usage of "[" instead of "(" and "==" instead of "=". Also, this will give you all 4 solutions not just the two real solutions.