Re: Representation and Simulation of Dynamic Systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57002] Re: [mg56928] Representation and Simulation of Dynamic Systems
  • From: "Caffa Vittorio Dr." <Caffa at iabg.de>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 02:32:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Chris,

First of all the topic here is "linear systems with time-varying
coefficients". The response of such systems to deterministic signals can
be computed with standard methods (e.g. NDSolve). If the input is
stochastic (normally white noise) in the general case (non-linear
systems) Monte Carlo techniques are generally used. But, in the special
case of linear systems with time-varying coefficients, one can also
perform a covariance analysis or use the method adjoints.

In chapter 25 of the book:
William S. Levine, Ed.
The Control Handbook
CRC Press
there is an article on linear systems with time-varying coefficients
with literature.

Any book about the Kalman filter explains what covariances are and how
they propagate.

Cheers, Vittorio