Re: GramSchmidt problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57044] Re: GramSchmidt problem
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:44:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <d5uvda$9at$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Heath Gerhardt <heathgerhardt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any know problems with GramSchmidt
> crashing Mathematica? When I run it on these 4 25-dimensional vectors it
> crashes on my system:

Tt works perfectly with floating point vectors so I expect that it
crashes because it is not simplifying the intermediate radical
expressions.

Here is functional code for computing GramSchmidt:

  GramSchmidt := Fold[Append[#1, FullSimplify[
   (#/Norm[#]&)[Fold[Projection, #2, #1]]]] & , {}, #1] & ;

where the projection operator is

  Projection[f_, g_] := FullSimplify[f - (f.g) g]

FullSimplify has been used in both routines so that expressions
involving radicals are completely simplified.

Calling your set of 4 vectors mat, one computes the orthonormal vectors
using

  GramSchmidt[mat]

As a check,

  Simplify[% . Transpose[%]]

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                      Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014