Hold problems with FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57060] Hold problems with FindRoot
  • From: Jonas Björnerstedt <lists at bjornerstedt.org>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 04:57:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

I have problems getting FindRoot to evaluate the equations it evaluates,
despite using Evaluate on the equations. I have a rather complex
function f[x,y] that works correctly with individual values x and y.
Evaluating the following expression does not work however.

FindRoot[Evaluate[f[x,y]==0],{{x,1},{y,1}}]

When evaluating, I get similar errors as when I evaluate f without
inserting values for x and y. I can also do a Plot3D on f without using
Evaluate.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem is?

Jonas