Re: Triangularize Matrix for Newmark method Keff=L^TDL

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57068] Re: [mg57048] Triangularize Matrix for Newmark method Keff=L^TDL
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 04:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you look at the help for LUDecomposition, you will notice that it
isn't necessary to break down the resulting matrix into L and U if you
use LUBackSubstitution (shouldn't it be called
LUForwardThenBackSubstition? ... ). LUBackSubsitution will also take
care of the pivoting (row swapping).
The same help file does give functions to obtain L and U, but I don't
think those take care of the row swaps.

--
Chris Chiasson
http://chrischiasson.com/