UpSetDelayed and N

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57128] UpSetDelayed and N
  • From: "François Wirion" <muthaluva at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:35:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I have done the following in Mathematica:
P[N[x]] ^:= 0
If I put in
P[N[x]]
it returns
0
as expected.

However, I haven't been able to find where this definition is stored.
Calling the following for P

OwnValues[P]
DownValues[P]
UpValues[P]
SubValues[P]
NValues[P]
DefaultValues[P]
FormatValues[P]
Messages[P]

and N

OwnValues[N]
DownValues[N]
UpValues[N]
SubValues[N]
NValues[N]
DefaultValues[N]
FormatValues[N]
Messages[N]

returns mostly empty lists, but no definition that says that P[N[x]] is
0. Where then would this be stored?

Thank you for any help or advice,

François Wirion