help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57357] help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'
  • From: "Master of Puppets" <masteroftensors at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:03:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am new to mathematica and I am having trouble reading binary files.
Here is a copy-paste of my notebook that gives me the error.

In[117]:=
$Packages

Out[117]=
{Utilities`BinaryFiles`,Global`,System`}

In[118]:=
stream = OpenReadBinary["may14b_05.255"]

Out[118]=
OpenReadBinary[may14b_05.255]

In[119]:=
Close[stream]

>From In[119]:=
General::stream: OpenReadBinary[may14b_05.255] is not a string,
InputStream[ \
], or OutputStream[ ].

Out[119]=
Close[OpenReadBinary[may14b_05.255]]

I am guessing that Mathematica is not recognizing the command
OpenReadBinary[]. But, when I display $Packages, it shows that the
package Utilites`BinaryFiles` is loaded and hence is in context. What
could be the problem ? Please help.

Thanks,
Vijay.