Re: How to get decent quality plots.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57428] Re: How to get decent quality plots.
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 04:57:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 5/26/05 at 4:31 AM, nospam at nowhere.com (Dave) wrote:

>I'm using ListPlot to plot some data points and have used options
>like

>PlotLabel -> "64 cycles in FIFO", AxesLabel -> {"S/N dB", "RMS
>error mm"}

>But the graphs come out look pretty awful.

>1) The font looks like courier

That is undoubtedly because the default font is set to Courier. Evaluate $DefaultFont to see what is set as the default font on your system. If you want a different default font, simply change $DefaultFont to what you prefer. Also, you can specify different fonts in any plot or graphic you create.

>2) The text on the x-axis starts at the end of the axis, not under the
>numbers which is more usual.

>3) The text on the y-axis runs horizontally, along the top, rather
>than vertically.

Try using the following options Axes->None, Frame->True, FrameLabel->{"x-axis label", "y-axis label"}. This will correct the placement and orienation of the axis labels.

>Any suggestions for some ways to make graphs look better. I don't
>want to have to export the data into Excel!!

I am quite certain any graphic that can be created with Excel can be done in Mathematica and then some. It is simply a matter of using the right options and settings. And if what comes distributed with Mathematica is not sufficient for your needs, there are a variety of add on packages available to customize graphics as needed. Examples include David Park's DrawGraphics package (avaliable on his web site) and packages such as StackedGraphicsArray and TickControl available on Wolfram's web site.