Running the kernel as a daemon?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61868] Running the kernel as a daemon?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 04:09:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm back to trying to figure out how I can interface with Mathematica from
an external program.  This may be covered in subsequent sections of the
Mathematica Book, but I want to get this message out before Today's
messages are posted.  I'm currently reading /2.13.8 Special Topic:
Communication with Mathematica Front Ends/.

Can I start a program - say a QApplication - which has its own "event loop",
not use MLMain, establish a connection to a running Mathematica kernel, and
communicate with the kernel asynchronously.  What I mean is that I want to
be able to run my program and do other things while the connection is
opened, and waiting for my program to send commands.  I'm pretty sure
I /can/ do this, but I'm not sure how easy it will be.  Do I need multiple
threads in my program to do this?

Also, I want to the kernel instance to run as a "server" or daemon, in the
same way it does for the front end.  Does MathLink make that easy?

Is there a C++ wrapper for MathLink? Where?
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...