Re: Mathematica GuideBooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61942] Re: [mg61916] Mathematica GuideBooks
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 01:52:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 4 Nov 2005, at 19:11, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> Are there any special discounts if we purchase the Mathematica
> GuideBooks
> together?  Have any of you used these?  Care to comment on them?

I have already commented on this here more than once, so this time I
will be very brief. I use them all the time and I think they are
great. But whether you or anyone else will like them depends a lot
how you use Mathematica and for what purpose.

I read the complete Guidebooks just once, in a pre-release version.
Since then I have returned to them on numerous occasions, but in
about 90% of cases I return to study solved problems or look at hints
and suggestions for exercises. I think these are the most valuable
thing about the book. You can find there a treasury of interesting
ideas, some of which must have taken Michael many hours of thinking
and experimenting.  Of course this will be true only for persons
whose principal interest lies in applying Mathematica to solving
problems in mathematics or mathematical physics. In this respect the
Guidebooks are in a class of their own. In fact, as far as I know
there is nothing that remotely compares with them in respect of the
width of the range of serious problems tackled with the help of
Mathematica. The Guidebooks are also great on graphics, particularly
those related to more advanced mathematical topics.
But if you are interested primarily in the programming language
itself or in issues related to the FrontEnd, typesetting, MathLink
etc, then you had better look elsewhere. (Actually the GuideBooks are
pretty good on Kernel programming, but the well known book of David
Wagner goes deeper).

Andrzej Kozlowski