Re: feature request: invert plot axes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62074] Re: feature request: invert plot axes
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:52:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 11/9/05 at 5:05 AM, marcus314 at yahoo.com (Marcus Stollsteimer)
wrote:

>it seems that it is not possible to invert the x axis of a plot in
>a simple way, so that the function is plotted from e.g. 1 to -1
>(PlotRange->{1,-1} does not work).

>Only lots of workarounds.

>Am I right?

Whether you regard your comments above as being correct or not depends on how you define "simple way" and "workarounds".

I assume it doesn't matter to you how Mathematica creates the plot but only that the values along the x-axis are reversed from their normal order. If so,

In[95]:=
Plot[x, {x, -1, 1},
   Ticks ->{{#, -#}&/@Range[-1, 1, 0.5], Automatic}];

does the trick.