Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62189] Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 11/12/05 at 3:33 AM, hattons at globalsymmetry.com (Steven T.
> Hatton) wrote:
>
>>Can I define my own variables in the startup init.m file?
>
> Yes. For example in my init.m file I have a the line
>
> $Landscape = 760;
>
> in my init.m file that I use to set the size of plots I intend to have
> printed in landscape mode.
>
>>I tried by simply putting a variable assignment at the end of the
>>file, and the result was that Mathematica erraced the entire contents
>>of the file.
>
> "erraced" = "erased"?
>
> Simply adding variables to your init.m file should not cause Mathematica
> to delete the contents of any file.

I put this at the end of the init.m, outside of all other expressions

$GuideBooksTOC =
"/usr/share/Mathematica/AddOns/GuideBooks/TableOfContents.nb"

, and when Mathematica starts it behaves as if I had done `mathematica
-cleanStart'. Even before I close Mathematica, `cat init.m' shows
SetOptions[$FrontEnd].  With no new line at the end of the file, I will
add.

--
The Mathematica Wiki: http://www.mathematica-users.org/
Math for Comp Sci http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/math/bmwcs/master.html