Re: Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62330] Re: Types in Mathematica
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:50:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

bsyehuda at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I warmly recommend you of Roman Maeder books, especially the "The
> Mathematica Programmer I" look at
> http://www.mathconsult.ch/showroom/pubs/MathProg/
> you can see there about all types of programming style implemented with
> mathematica.
> In addition, the combinatorica package uses the Graph[] head for their
> implementation in object oriented fashion, so exploring a little bit the
> combinatorica package files will help you to see how other are using this
> style.
> yehuda

I am trying to get through Michael Trott's extensive work.  Fortunately I'm
finding the ballance of TMGB-P to be far less demanding than were the first
two chapters.  I have Roman Mæder's _Computer Science with Mathematica_,
and have read several chapters of the book.  I have to confess, I had not
yet "seen the light", as it were, when I was reading the book, and
therefore failed to grasp the underlying unity of the material.  What I
have discovered is that attempting to read _The Mathematica Book_ from
front to back did not lead to a very good understanding of Mathematica.
The book makes far more sense to me when read back to front.

I will also note that Dr. Mæder's Classes package can lead to poor use of
Mathematica when used by an inexperienced Mathematica programmer.  OTOH, I
was able to create some rather sophisticated animations using it, which I
would still be hard pressed to produce without the OOP facilities in
Classes`.

Steven

--
The Mathematica Wiki: http://www.mathematica-users.org/