Re: Newbie with simple questions (take 2)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62325] Re: Newbie with simple questions (take 2)
  • From: misha <iamisha1 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:50:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've narrowed my question down quite a bit...

Why can't I use superscripts?

I initially tried q(superscript 2, subscript h) and q(superscript h,
subscript l) and got error messages.  Then I tried q(superscript h,
subscript 2) and q(superscript l, subscript 2), but this didn't seem to
help.  It seems that Mathematica interprets superscripts as exponents.
Is there a way around this?

In any case, I did the following and got some satisfying results:
Solve[{D[(a-x-z-c)x==0, x], D[(a-y-z-d)y==0, y], D[t(a-x-z-g)z +
(1-t)(a-y-z-g)z==0, z]}, {x,y,z}]

So the question regarding solving FOCs and simultaneous equations no
longer needs answering, but I am very open to suggestions regarding such
problems!

In short, my question boils down to naming variables and using
superscripts in doing so.

Thank you!

Misha