Re: Programmatic Search and Replace

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62343] Re: [mg62292] Programmatic Search and Replace
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 03:54:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sunday 20 November 2005 06:46 am, Yasvir A. Tesiram wrote:
> G'day,
> Before you go programming something as  a replacement, I would check the
> features of the Desktop environment, if you are using one i.e.. I have
> been working with Mathematica on Linux since V4.2, and am currently at
> 5.2.
> I sometimes use a Desktop environment on Linux but I know that what you
> describe below has never been an issue. In any case, I would suggest
> trying to switch from say KDE to GNOME. See if there is a difference.
> If so install a different version of the Desktop environment and test it
> etc etc.

I tried it under fvwm and the same thing happens.  I copy some text out of the
notebook, Ctrl+F, Shift+Insert, and it locks up.  When I did a RMC, the
pointer became confined to the notebook rectangle, and I lost all other HID
access to the machine.

> Otherwise see if Developer`ClipboardNotebook, NotebookWrite, NotebookRead
> etc can be of help to you.

For now it works to simply handjam the FullForm target text into the search
field.  That's a bit inconvenient when dealing with things such as
\[DoubleLongLeftRightArrow].  Qt really ie a pleasure to program with. AFAIK,
the cross-platform support is solid.  The development of what is now Qt began
15 years ago.  The founders of TrollTech have been coding in C++ for almost
as long as Stroustrup.

Steven