Re: permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62422] Re: [mg62418] permutations
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:33:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 23 Nov 2005, at 20:27, Francisco Gutierrez wrote:

> Dear Group:
>   If I do for example:
>   Permutations[{x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9,x10,x11,x12}],
>   my computer runs out of memory.
>   This is not such a poor computer.  Actually, I would need to do
> permutations of lists of Length 20, perhaps 25.  I am aware these
> calculations are big (Length[x]!), but I wonder if there is some
> way around the problem. Compilating Permutations? But then how? Can
> somebody help me?
>   Francisco Gutiérrez

I don't think that even a 64 bit Mathematica on a 64 bit computer
with the maximum amount of Ram will help you here. Compiling
certainly won't. However, I can't possibly see any reason why you
would need to have such a list. Have you looked at the function
NextPermutation and UnrankPermutation from the Combinatorica package?
Most likely what you want to do can be done by making use of these
functions without trying to construct impossibly large lists.

Andrzej Kozlowski