Re: Time needed for calculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62446] Re: Time needed for calculation
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:33:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 11/23/05 at 1:12 AM, JikaiRF at AOL.COM wrote:

>Dear Sirs, I have some questions about how long a computer can
>calculate, without damages on hard wear.

Unless there is something rather unusual about your computer or it is in an inappropriate environment, then the length of time it can be performing a computation before doing damage to hardware is far longer than you are likely to want to wait.

<snip>

>This program seems to work well.   However, I cannot obtain the
>curve which should be derived from the above program, though my
>computer continues to calculate more than fifteen minutes.

>I would like to know how   long a computer can calculate without
>damages on hardware, and additionally how long it takes to obtain
>the required curve based on my computer. Especially, my computer is
>PowerBook G4 with 1.5 GHz processor.

I am using an older generation PowerBook (800 MHz processor) and have run computations far longer than 15 minutes with no apparent harm to hardware. What will occur with a PowerBook is the bottom surface will definitely be warm or hot to the touch. So, the main thing is to make sure there is adequate ventilation to keep it from overheating.