Globally limiting precision or accuracy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61010] Globally limiting precision or accuracy
  • From: Lee Newman <leenewm at umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 03:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Group,

Situation
-  I have a large neural network model (my own code, not Wolfram's
toolbox) that currently has a run time of about 20hours.
-  I am in the process of trying to profile and optimize the code
(mostly matrix computations) to reduce the run time.
-  All of the computationas that I do are numerical.

Questions
(1) If I am not concerned about numerical accuracy beyond 3 decimal
places for any of the computations in the model, can I improve
performance by telling mathematica to globally restrict its accuracy (or
precision) for all computations?

(2) If so, how do I do this?  Is it as simple as setting
$MachinePrecision=3?  Is there a global way (rather than local use of
N[]) to ensure that all computations are done numerically, and with
machine precision?

Thanks,
Lee Newman