Re: Einstein Summation with Utilities`Notation`

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61030] Re: [mg61003] Einstein Summation with Utilities`Notation`
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 02:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven,

You could try the Tensorial package at my web site below. It has
EinsteinSummation, EinsteinArray and EinsteinArgument and variations for
summing and expanding tensor expressions. Also complete documentation.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Steven T. Hatton [mailto:hattons at globalsymmetry.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Has anybody worked out an implementation of Einstein summation notation
using Mathematica's Utilities`Notation` package?  I started toying with the
idea and realized it could become rather tedious to write all the possible
combinations of raised and lowered indices for tensors of higher order.  It
is also mathematical blasphemy to write this out explicitly for each
instance.

It appears to me that the ideal way of producing notations is to use vi or
better (a.k.a. (X)Emacs).  That is, the form produced using the Mathematica
front end is virtually unintelligible for modestly complex notations.  I'm
confident that creating notations with a traditional text editor can be
done using NotationBoxTag, though I haven't worked out the general
approach.

This is the general idea of what I've been attempting as it appears in
Notebookese:

\!\(\*
  RowBox[{
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
      TagBox[\(e\&^\),
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}], "\[IndentingNewLine]",
    RowBox[{"Notation", "[",
      RowBox[{
        TagBox[\(\(e_\&^\)\_i_\),
          NotationBoxTag,
          TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], " ",
        "\[DoubleLongLeftRightArrow]", " ",
        TagBox[\(\(e_\&^\)\[LeftDoubleBracket]i_\[RightDoubleBracket]\),
          NotationBoxTag,
          TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"]}], "]"}],
"\[IndentingNewLine]",

    RowBox[{"Notation", "[",
      RowBox[{
        TagBox[\(\(e_\&^\)\_\(i_, j_\)\),
          NotationBoxTag,
          TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], " ",
        "\[DoubleLongLeftRightArrow]", " ",
        TagBox[\(\(e_\&^\)\[LeftDoubleBracket]i_, j_\[RightDoubleBracket]\),
          NotationBoxTag,
          TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"]}], "]"}],
    "\[IndentingNewLine]", \(Bases[x_:  e1, y_:  e2, z_:  e3] := {x, y,
        z}\)}]\)
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...