Inadvertant introduction of Global` symbols from packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61103] Inadvertant introduction of Global` symbols from packages
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:40:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I thought I had figured out why this was happening, but it started happening
again after I made the changes I thought would fix it.  I have a package
that uses LinearAlgebra`Orthogonalization`Normalize.  I therefore have
BeginPackage["STH`Fluid3D`", {"LinearAlgebra`"}] as the first line of the
package.  The only context where I use Normalize is the
"STH`Fluid3D`Private`" context.  When I load the package in a notebook I
often have a symbol called "Normalize" in the Global` context.  Sometimes I
have received an error telling me about the shadowing, but not always.
When it happens, my code stops working.  How can I prevent this kind of
thing from happening?
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...