Re: Language vs. Library

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61087] Re: [mg61054] Language vs. Library
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:39:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

THe short answer is no. One might argue that the "core language" is
whatever is documented in the latest version of Mathematica's online
help (and this is expanded with every release), not counting the Add-
On packages and various functions that exist in contexts such as
Experimental or Internal, but even that would not satisfy any
definition of a "core". One problem with defining the "core language"
is the fact that even the correct Mathematica syntax, particularly
where pattern matching is concerned, is not precisely defined. There
are many patterns that you can try to make where it is impossible to
tell from any documentation whether they ought to work or not, and
actually there are reasons to suspect that nobody knows (and that
includes WRI employees) until they try it.

Personally I am not convinced that this is a bad thing, or that it
would be practical to try to change it (just imagine the size of any
documentation that made a serious attempt at achieving this). I think
Mathematica's language's strong points are its exceptional
intuitively and flexibility.It seems to me also that  these "virtues"
of the Mathematica language are also among the causes of the above
mentioned difficulties: there are many things in Mathematica's
language that one expects would work solely because it seems so
natural that they should, and not surprisingly they sometimes do not.
I can't really see how one could try to document it or how anyone
could make practical use of such documentation if it existed. But
without such documentation I do not think the concept of "core
language" makes much sense.

Andrzej Kozlowski