Re: Re: Language vs. Library

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61179] Re: [mg61145] Re: Language vs. Library
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:42:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Steve,

> Very much so.  Mathematica provides a huge number of symbols,
> options, commands, end etc.  Distinguishing the essential
> from the incidental is necessary in order to effectively use
> a tool as complex as this.

That is quite a different question, as it depends on what you want to use
the program for.

I'd regard as anything in Chapter of the Book entitled "A Practical
Introduction to Mathematica" as essential, core Mathematica.  To that core,
I would add commands in any context that you need to use the program
effectively, for example, if you use Mathematica for statistical analysis,
then anything in the Statistics` context would have to be regarded as core
too.

Anything else is surely non-core, at least to _your_ needs.  As your use of
the program changes, so too will your "core" knowledge need to change.

Regards,

Dave.