Re: big integer for Range

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61270] Re: big integer for Range
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:54:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Mathematica 5.2 under Windows XP on a 32-bit machine complains if I ask
> it to form Range[10^9].  The error is Range::range: Range specification
> in Range[10000000000] is not a machine-size integer.

Hi Murray,

You are lucky because on my system (XP 32 bits) the kernel dies without
any warning (see below)!

> Is there a built-in Mathematica function that tells what the machine's
> maximum machine-size integer is?  (And if not, shouldn't there be?)

*Developer`$MaxMachineInteger* does that.

Here what I got on my machine.

In[1]:=
r = Range[10^9]

The kernel dies, without any warning or error message.
Starting a new session,

In[1]:=
2^32 - 1

Out[1]=
4294967295

In[2]:=
r = Range[2^32 - 1];

 From In[2]:=
Range::range: Range specification in Range[4294967295] is not a
machine-size \
integer.

That time I can get the same message as yours and the kernel is still
here :-)

In[3]:=
2^31 - 1

Out[3]=
2147483647

In[4]:=
r = Range[2^31 - 1];

Now this is a machine-size integer but again, the kernel dies without
any warning.

In[1]:=
Length[r]

Out[1]=
0

In[2]:=
Developer`$MaxMachineInteger

Out[2]=
2147483647

In[3]:=
$Version

Out[3]=
"5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)"

I like Mathematica for the consistency of its behavior :-)

Best regards,
/J.M.