Re: strange editor

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61353] Re: strange editor
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joerg Schaber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sometimes an input cell only does what it is supposed to do after I
> remove and insert a newline, or do some other kind of nonsense editing.
> This can be very annoying when looking for errors. Because the errors
> often are not in the code, but seem to be in some strange hidden symbols
> that have nothing to do with the code.

Is this happening specifically in package code?  I've noticed this kind of
thing when working with packages.  I recently saw something on the
http://www.mathematica-users.org/ Wiki suggesting that one should use a
stylesheet other than the default.  The argument was that there seem to be
some 'issues' with the default stylesheet, but I don't believe any
specifics were given.

> Also, after reopening a file, Mathematica (v5.1) does sometimes some
> strange reformatting of input cells, like, e.g., inserting blanks.

What OS are you running Mathematica on?

> Does anybody have an explanation or a workaround?

Mathematica is quirky.  I've hit several little snags like this.  I don't
have a lot of good advice to provide.  The best I can suggest is to try and
understand how things can go wrong, and look for problems in that area.

These little annoyances can really slow down the learning process because
they lead to false assumptions about what works and what doesn't.  If we
write code that /should/ work, but it fails, we are likely to assume that
the correct usage is not correct.  OTOH, understanding what correct usage
is enables us to identify the problems introduced by quirks in the
environment.

Also, if you gain some understanding of how things are going wrong, and can
explain them, you may want share your observations with Wolfram Research.
You may also want to share your observations on the Wiki.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...