Re: Displaying Solution in Matrix Form

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61361] Re: Displaying Solution in Matrix Form
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:29:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This does what you want (using a randomly generated example):

variables=Flatten[Table[f[i,j],{i,3},{j,4}]];
matrix=Table[Random[Real,{-1,1}],{12},{12}];
vector=Table[Random[Real,{-1,1}],{12}];
equations=MapThread[#1==#2&,{matrix.variables,vector}]
solution=NSolve[equations,variables]
Partition[variables,4]//TableForm
Partition[variables/.solution[[1]],4]//TableForm

The solution is in the form of a set of replacement rules for the variables.
You use the variables /.solution construct to apply these rules to the
variables, and then use Partition to split the vector of solutions into a
matrix, which you then display using TableForm (you could use MatrixForm if
you want brackets drawn round the table).

Steve Luttrell

news:diskq0$m9f$1 at smc.vnet.net...