Re: Re: Display sound but suppress graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61554] Re: [mg61517] Re: Display sound but suppress graphics
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:35:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Helen,

That is beautiful! It clearly shows how one can have animation with sound. I
strongly recommend your notebook for anyone wanting to learn the technique.
(The link is below.)

I also received a very nicely done notebook from Rob Rudd illustrating
another animation with sound. It is a Jacob's Ladder, an electrical
demostration device that has a rising electrical spark between two slightly
diverging wires. The animation shows the spark with quasirandom static. I
hope he will also make his notebook available.

The Mathematica Help does clearly say that sound primitives can be included
in Graphics and Graphics3D objects. When this is done the Sound plot is
eliminated to be replaced by the specified graphic. I completely missed this
feature.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Helen Read [mailto:read at math.uvm.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

David Park wrote:

> It would be nice to be able to make a regular graphical animation that
also
> had sounds. Say a bouncing ball that made a 'thud' each time the ball
> bounced.

Well, you *can* do that.

For an extremely silly example that I threw together during final exam
week one semester (I was procrastinating on the grading), see

http://www.cems.uvm.edu/math/mathematica/math22/ferris_wheel.nb

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont